DETAIL : GENE EXPRESSION
He established baculovirus insect cell expression system (BEVS) for the first time in India and used this to express foreign genes (>50) and also to ask fundamental questions concerning gene expression in BEVS.
- Demonstrated correct processing and intracellular deposition of expressed proteins;
- Discovered the phenomenon of secretory load;
- Developed BEVS as a system to study role of sugars in protein processing, folding and bioactivity;
- Discovered novel AUG context sequence which together with codon usage profile affected gene expression;
- Identified novel host factors which play critical role in regulating transcription from polyhedrin gene promoter;
- Discovered novel DNA enhancerelement, which upregulates gene expression >50 fold. (US Patented)